Sunday, February 12, 2017

Get 'Vicious'

I stumbled across the PBS sitcom Vicious a couple of years ago. It was around New Years, and I turned on the TV and just happened to see the holiday special. It immediately hooked me and made me and my husband crack up laughing. It wasn't until this Christmas that my husband surprised me with the gift of season 1 and 2, as well as the finale on DVD.




Vicious is refreshing, not only because it is a sharp comedy about about a gay couple, but that it's about a gay couple in their 70s. Main characters Stuart and Freddie have been together for decades and have managed to perfect their vicious teasing of one another. The show is full of brilliant banter but also has some real tear-jerker moments. The dialog is fantastic, and the acting top-notch.




With a cast like this, you almost can't go wrong. My only complaint is that it was such a short run with only two seasons, a finale, and a holiday special. I would have loved to see a few more seasons.




The show stars Sir Ian McKellen and Sir Derek Jacobi in the genius performances of Freddie and Stuart, as well as hilarious supporting cast Francis de la Tour, Iwan Rheon, Marcia Warren, and Phillip Voss.

It really is one of the best sitcoms I've ever seen, and I recommend buying the whole set of DVDs. They're well worth your money. I treasure my set and cannot wait to share it with friends.

Here's a --> link to PBS <-- where you can see some previews and also purchase the discs.

If you've seen the show, I'd love to know what you think! Feel free to leave a comment below.


XoXo

Scarlett

2 comments:

  1. I watched some of the trailers with my friend by accident and our immediate response was what are two such good actors doing wasting their time on such badly acted unfunny rubbish but, to be fair, I haven't seen an actual episode so I suspect the trailer material may have been out of context. Comedy is a very personal thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Comedy is a personal thing, but I'd give the show a shot. It's campy, yes, and a bit over-the-top (it's live theatre, after all) but I found it hysterical and heartwarming all at the same time.

      Delete